As the holidays approach, here are 5 supplement recommendations that can support those of us planning resolutions to detox in the new year.
If you’re like me, 2020 may have left you feeling run down and stressed out. With the holidays around the corner, even those of us who are committed to managing our health properly can slip up by over-indulgence, taking a break from workout routines, or simply saying, “To hell with it, give me more pie!”. Thankfully, with the new year comes the chance to reset and start some healthy habits. There is no better way, in my opinion, to give yourself the best chance to actually keep those habits and resolutions than to begin with a healthy, well managed detox.
Our bodies are amazing machines. Through millennia evolution has shaped us to deal effectively with the environmental hazards that we are constantly subject to. Our livers, kidneys, cardiovascular systems, and skin all work to expel unwanted or harmful toxins, naturally. This process is detoxification. While our bodies are naturally carrying out various detoxification functions, supporting them with the right supplements can go a long way to kick-starting your health in the new year, and beyond. While the 5 supplements listed below dovetail remarkably well with most accepted (and vetted) detox programs I would urge anyone considering a detox regimen to do so in consultation with their healthcare professional.
- NAC - (N-Acetyl Cysteine) The body requires NAC to produce and replenish the antioxidant, glutathione. Considered the “Master” antioxidant, glutathione is vital to energy production and aids detoxification by protecting against free-radical damage and supporting immune function.
- B-12 - This essential vitamin (meaning it can only be obtained through diet or supplementation) plays a key role in methylation detoxification (complicated, but basically, it’s a biochemical process where one substance converts into another. It affects in every cell and tissue in the body).
- Chlorella - Is a single-celled, green freshwater algae, considered one of the “Super Foods”. In its supplement form it is rich in protein, iron, Vitamin C, omega-3, and fiber. Studies indicate it is effective at removing heavy metals and other harmful toxins from the body.
- Liver Support Herbs - Are extracts and nutrients that support healthy liver function (specifically, phase 1 and 2 detoxification functions).
- Probiotics - Considered "friendly" live bacteria, probiotics colonize in the gut and provide beneficial microorganisms to your digestive system. High quality probiotics, when used properly and taken in appropriate doses, improve the makeup of the gut microbiome which, in turn, affects key functions of the body including immunity, metabolism and mood.
Here’s to your rejuvenating detox and happy new year,